History of Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, Gadsden, Alabama
Organized September 14, 1875 in a one-room log house about a half mile north of Noccalula Falls on Lookout Mountain.
Rev. L.D. Guinn was the first pastor.
The church moved from Lookout Mountain to the intersection of Church Street and Tuscaloosa Avenue while Rev. H.E. Harris (1884 - 1891) was pastor.
The organizational meeting of the Etowah Baptist Association was held at Mt. Carmel in 1884.
This building burned in 1903 and construction on a new building was started in 1904; at this time a group left and started Twelfth Street Baptist Church to have a church nearer to town.
On April 18, 1948, during the pastorate of Dr. A.E. Thompson, ground-breaking ceremony for the new building was held at the location of Fourteenth Street and Kyle Ave.
On March 25, 1951, Easter Sunday, the first service was held in the new building.
On October, 1, 1961, the note of the paid off mortgage was burned.
In May, 1963, construction was begun on the educational building.
The first service was held in the new educational building on the first Sunday of October, 1963.
In 1966, the Judge Hurst home was purchased for a church pastorium.
Pastors of Mt. Carmel have been:
L.D. Guinn, H.E. Harris (1884-1891), Dr. A.E. Thompson, Fred Anderton (1958-1962), Rayford Duck (1962-1973), Kenneth Spears, J.V. James, Robert Langford, Thomas Brock, David S. Homan, Wallace Morton, Wayne Futral, Emmett Roper, Charles L. Terry, Russ Fox, Chuck Conley, Jackie Bentley, Glenn Pender, and Derek Allen. Roger Beshears is now the pastor of our church.
Mt. Carmel is the mother church of Bellevue Baptist and Henry Street Baptist Church and also a leader in organizing Forrest Avenue Baptist Church and Twelfth Street Baptist Church.